Thursday, May 25, 2006

The baking of a cake



In honor of a day off (Ascension Day), I decided to bake a cake. I chose Martha's Génoise Layer Cake with Rum Syrup and Whipped Cream Frosting (from the May issue). I halved the recipe, making only two layers. Oh, and I only did 1/4th of the Pastry Cream and Rum Syrup recipes and they were just the right amount.

I've never made a cake this way before. Mixing the egg yolks and egg whites separately and then combining but I'm sure I will try it again. The batter was truly beautiful during its many stages and the result was a moist and soft cake.

During the baking process, I noticed one major fault in my kitchen equipments. I don't have a round cake pan! Sure, I have noticed this before, but I never seem to remember it when I'm out and about. Only when I'm ready to pour my batter in it. Definitely something I need to fix. This time I used a star-shaped pan.

As you can see, the end result is far from Martha's polished cake. I totally suck at spreading frosting, so I went the easy way and didn't even really try. I feel it's best to practice when I have the round cake pan :)

Nevertheless, the taste is wondeful and I highly recommend this recipe.

2 Comments:

Blogger Nicki said...

That looks wonderful!

12:22 AM  
Blogger Christine S said...

I think the cake looks yummy and I like it being a star shape!

8:17 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home