Monday, May 29, 2006

Tuning a bag

The problem: I need a carry-on bag for airplanes.

As some of you already know, DH and I are going to China this summer. A while ago I was going through the things we need to take with us in my mind and realized I do not own a bag which would function as a carry-on bag on the plane. I don't use backpacks and currently only own small handbags. Ideally, the bag would also function as a bag in which to tote stuff around while sightseeing if needed. So, quite obviously I needed a new bag (right?). The problem is I have a very, very expensive taste when it comes to bags. And I don't have much money to spend on one at the moment.

The solution:



I toyed around with the idea of making one myself, but was concerned I wouldn't be able to make one that would be sturdy enough. Then I saw this at a local department store. It's just the right size, it's sturdy and has a good zipper closing and it's cheap. But in my eyes it is just not beautiful or cute or elegant or... you get my point. However, after some humming and hawing, I purchased it as I had a plan in mind.

A raid through my stash at home:



And a quick trip to a store to buy some lace trim.

The result:



An iron-on ballerina patch, some embroidery (the white strip goes all around the bag) and some lace. I think it's cute and I'm actually quite pround of it. I'm quite certain that after the trip the white bits won't be so white, the embroidery (especially the French knots) will be unraveling and the ballerina is peeling off, but I do not mind. At least, I'll have a nice bag on the trip.

5 Comments:

Blogger joko said...

i like the ballerina. cute!

3:44 PM  
Blogger Christine S said...

Now there's a good idea! Great job, Lina! It turned out really well.

9:55 PM  
Blogger Arteeni said...

Gorgeous bag!!

3:41 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow! What a neat idea, it's gorgeous!

4:03 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

11:57 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home