Wednesday, August 02, 2006

Learning a new word

Yesterday I learned a new word: trivet. I received a lovely package from Melanie, my seasonal exchange partner and in it was this:



Beautiful, right? Well, I enthusiastically told her DH and I both loved it and were trying to find a place to hang it from. She patiently told me that it wasn't meant to be hanging on a wall (silly me, I had ignored the back of the piece where this would have become obvious) but that it was a trivet (and what it was after I asked her). I still think it is far to pretty to be placed under hot dishes, but I promised her I would try to use it as a trivet, so I came up with a few possibilities I am comfortable with :)



Under a glass (so you can see through it) water jug.



And under tealight holders. Actually, I think I could just put the tealights on it by themselves. One idea she suggested, was to keep salt and pepper shakers on it, which I may also do. When not in use, however, it's going to sit propped up on a shelf :)

Other treats in the package were a Sweetheart Tree kit and a big bag of Hersey's dark chocolate (yummy!).

3 Comments:

Blogger Christine S said...

What a beautiful exchange piece! I'd probably think it was a framed picture, too. I've never put my stitching into something like a trivet or box top. I think it looks great with the tealights in their holders on top of it!

7:09 PM  
Blogger Nicki said...

Far too pretty to risk hot dishes on it! I like the tealight idea too. What a lovely exchange :)

12:33 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

The tealight holders look lovely, they really compliment the stitching. Such a beautiful gift, what a lovely exchange to be part of.

Thank you for your kind comments on Arabella. I love Rowan patterns and I am delighted with the latest book, I've been subscribing for a couple of years now, it's my little treat to myself, we all deserve one.

1:21 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home