Friday, September 29, 2006

I made something



Yesterday was my knit club meeting. The teacher told and showed us various ways to use knitting and crochet to make jewelry and other small things like that. At the end of the lesson we were asked to try some of the things out. One of the things she showed was how to make hollow cording by knitting. As it was new to me and seemed like a very useful thing to know how to do, I started knitting it.

It was surprisingly simple. You cast on for an even number of stitches (mine had four) and then knit the first one, slip the second one while holding the yarn to the front, knit the third and again slip the fourth while holding the yarn in front. The you turn and begin again. I started on my cord during the lesson and finished it up at home the same evening. Then I tried to felt it a bit (by hand) and this resulted in the cord getting really soft and fuzzy. Today I stitched it into the shape of a flower, crocheted the center from yellow yarn and attached it with a few stitches and then I added a safety pin to the back. Nothing big, but it's still a finished object :) And very quick to do.

I put it on my small tote bag to give it a bit of fall flair.

2 Comments:

Blogger Nicki said...

So simple but so pretty!

1:41 AM  
Blogger Christine S said...

That turned out really cute and is a great addition to the bag!

9:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home