Thursday, October 26, 2006

Know what this is?


I didn't. Until yesterday.

I had my knitclub meeting yesterday and the teacher taught as something I had never tried before. Making hairpin lace (and that thing above is a modern version of a hairpin lace loom). It was so exiting to learn something completely new. And very strange, too. We all felt like little children with our looms and crochet hooks, trying to follow the teacher's instructions. Once you got the hang of it, it was quite easy. And fun, which is why I bought the loom.

The idea is very simple. You make long strings of loops, really, with a crochet chain running in the middle. And then you attach the strings together. Usually this technique is used to make scarves and shawls. I tried to look for a site that would have good pictures of finished hairpin lace things, but couldn't find any. But you can really do beautiful things with it, even if my try-out below isn't looking that attractive.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home