Thursday, October 25, 2007

Collections

Early this summer I found myself telling a friend how I always admired people's collections. Even if I didn't particularly like the thing they were collecting, just the idea of having a collection somehow appealed to me. And I was complaining that I didn't really have any. Sure, I have a quite sizeable collection of cross stitch charts (and decorating magazines) but I don't really see them as a collection. They weren't bought because they were charts, they were bought because I liked them and wanted to do them someday.

But a few weeks ago, it hit me. I DO have a collection! Small, but growing. I collect vintage and antique magazines. Preferable craft or women's magazines.



Here is my collection in it's entirety. Some are Finnish, some are British. The newest ones are from 1953 and most are from the 30's.



This and it's friend are my treasures. They are from 1897.



I also really like this Finnish women's magazine, Kotiliesi. I've got issues from the 20's and 30's and my favourites are those from the 20's. They are full of interesting and fascinating things to read. A real insight into what life was like. And a good reminder of how things never really change. There are articles in here reminiscing about the good old days, how Christmases used to be so much better and how there used to be much more snow during winters. And about how to find the time to do everything you want to and need to do.

5 Comments:

Blogger mainely stitching said...

This seems to me like a brilliant collection! I used to collect antique thesauruses (thesauri?) before I moved abroad. LOL.

6:11 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ootko tietoinen että neulotaan.net julkaisee tätä blogia osana sivustoaan? Onko niillä sun lupasi tähän?

9:42 PM  
Blogger Nicki said...

Oh how lovely! I have quite a few girl's stories from the 1920s/30s - a great time for that sort of literature :)

1:17 AM  
Blogger Mrs. Anna T said...

So neat! I have some vintage knitting magazines, but not as old as yours!

1:12 PM  
Blogger Michelle said...

Love your collection! What fabulous magazines. I'm sure you find a ton of interesting things in them. Thanks for sharing!

11:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home